The Senator representing Anambra Central Senatorial District, Senator Uche Ekwunife has spent about four months in the Senate. Having so far kept to her promise of being a strong voice in the Senate, it’s important to highlight some of her actions and achievements in the 9th Senate.
Within the last four months as Senator representing Anambra Central Senatorial District, Senator Uche Ekwunife has:
1. Moved a motion to address the devastating storm in Obosi, Nkpor and Oraukwu communities of Anambra State.
2. Raised a petition on the refusal of Jamb to release the result of Akachukwu Onyiuke, a constituent of Anambra Central
3. At the Chambers of the Senate, she called for the inclusion of South-East in the Board of the Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC.
4. She recently urged the Senate to take action towards curbing the incessant Fuel Tanker fire outbreaks in Anambra State and provide support to the victims of the Ochanja Fire Incident through a motion sponsored by Senator Ifeanyi Ubah, Senator Stella Oduah and herself.
5. On the floor of the Senate, she called for actions towards Strengthening the Security at Nigerian Airports
6. She has facilitated employment for not less than 40 graduates in different Parastatals and Agencies of Government.
7. So far, since her inauguration, she has distributed 50 Tricycle to Wards.
8. She sponsored Skills Aquisition Training for Youths in partnership with the New Partnership for African Development, NEPAD Nigeria.
9. She recently sponsored a bill to amend the Penal Code Act to strengthen Citizens’ rights to security which has passed first reading.
10. Her constituency projects for the 2020 budget year will soon materialize. However, she had in the past representation (particularly during her first stint in the Senate which lasted for six months) attracted notable projects to her constituency. Just to mention a few:
A. She attracted construction works on Ileka Road Uke, Onyeka Okeluo Road Enugwu-Agidi and St. Joseph’s Road Nri.
B. She moved a motion for the immediate intervention of the Federal Government on Enugu-Onitsha Expressway, as well as assistance in checking the increasing devastation of erosion in Anambra state.
C. Through the intervention of the Nigerian Senate, she led her colleagues to inspect and attract rehabilitation works on the Nkpor flyover section of the Enugu-Onitsha expressway which was almost cut off by erosion.
D. Her Bill, Forestry Institute of Nigeria Reenactment Bill was Signed into Law by the President Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Special Adviser (Media and Publicity) to Senator Uche Ekwunife.
November 9, 2019.